Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Foscam BBS

Search
View: 1518|Reply: 8

Linux support for web interface

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-09-08 02:25:13 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by mbirth at 2016-09-08 02:26

I have the FI9831W and a more recent C1 Lite. Both have the same web interface and both don't even let me login from my Linux computer (using Chrome). The login checks for the presence of the video plugin which is only available for Windows and Mac yet is only needed to display live video. And that's the big point: I don't need live video to make 99% of the settings. Even for the 1%, things like the motion detection areas, you could use a still image. So there's no need to lock out users without that plugin completely from the configuration interface.

Also it's 2016 and there are things like HTML5 video which don't need any plugin. It would be great if there was a way to update the firmware of those cameras to support configuration from a Linux desktop.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2016-09-27 00:26:53 | Show all posts
Thanks very much for your feedback.
If you have any questions and technicial problems regarding Foscam products in use, please submit your problem in the "Technical Support" section of FOSCAM community.

Or you can contact us directly with phone number displayed on http://foscam.com/call-center.html or email to tech@foscam.com for technical support.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-10-18 16:26:45 | Show all posts
I agree completely.  It's been annoying that I can't go into the settings page at all.  I bought an R4 and before upgrading the firmware I could do everything on Linux, even see the live view.  I just upgraded the firmware today and now I can't, it wants to install the silly plug-in.

What happened?!  Why did the original firmware work using html5 to do everything and now foscam wants to use the silly plug-in?!?  Makes no sense.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-01-04 10:45:20 | Show all posts
Hello, I am on Linux. I've also the problem to access new cam.
Is there alternate a solution ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-01-19 11:47:59 | Show all posts
When is Foscam going to provide a plugin download for Linux?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-04-22 11:58:20 | Show all posts
Hi I use Ubuntu and also cannot login, at least could you give us exactly the libraries we should install on linux so the login screen allows us to enter and use the Foscam Cam  or Better yet, do the program ignore the plugins when it recognices linux, no matter if it will work or not some of the items, maybe some will ..... thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-04-22 14:43:49 | Show all posts
People, I have just installed an add-on under Chromium Ubuntu 64 bits, that is called MyIpCam  that worked right out the box!!!  here is the URL to install it https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/myipcam   BTW it recognized my Foscam Camera as Version 3, but didn't work, so I put Version 2 and.... worked very well, it's a pay utility...but works .... the free version only shows the camera, the payed can save and take snapshots. my camera is a  HT9873P  . I also installed all streaming libraries I found via apt-get ....and for example for Chrome/Chromium: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra    also installed gnash  also all plugins for VLC .....at least, I can view my ipcam on Ubuntu now. hope this helped someone, greetings from Argentina

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-08-20 00:09:40 | Show all posts
Edited by gour at 2017-08-20 00:11
Also it's 2016 and there are things like HTML5 video which don't need any plugin. It would be great if there was a way to update the firmware of those cameras to support configuration from a Linux desktop.

I'm looking to buy C1 camera, but it's a pity that although, afaik, most of Foscam cameras are ONVIF-compliant, that you do not provide web interface with Linux support.

So, here is another vote for Linux desktop support, but bear in mind that majority of potential users won't bother to register here to submit it and might go looking (aka shopping) elsewhere.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-08-20 00:12:54 | Show all posts
That's interesting to hear, but I wonder how many features are supported by this extension in comparison with original software? (I'm looking for C1 model.)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list